Sunday, November 7, 2010

Interpreter of Maladies

This work also showed some irony. While Mr. Kapasi understands the language of English, I don't think he understands the culture. It really surprised me when he started to pay attention to Mrs. Das. She was so obnoxious! I was annoyed by her snobbishness. I assumed that was the view of Kapasi as well. Their lives were so opposite. He may have not been madly in love with his wife, but he seemed to show family values. Mrs. Das on the other hand doesn't seem to care at all for her children or for her husband. His love for her seemed ironic and illogical.

1 comment:

  1. Heeeeey, we talked about this in class, and I don't even think you were there. Good work. Maybe you were in class. I don't know. But apparently it's kind of a big deal that --ironyirony-- Mr. Kapasi is an interpreter, and he can understand all kinds of languages, but he doesn't understand American culture.

    ReplyDelete