Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Lottery: Question #4

I think the fact that many aspects of the ritual are forgotten is vital to this story. I believe that the original lottery was created on the basis of superstition and sacrifice. I get this from the line on page 268 that says,
"Used to be a saying about 'Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon.' "
The lottery was meant to bring good luck for the approaching harvest.

Along with the loss of some rituals, the purpose of the lottery is also disappearing. They now seem to simply participate because it is tradition and there has always been a lottery. That's why this story kind of frustrated me. These towns people were committing murder because it was the accepted norm. I felt as though they had no other reason for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment