Thursday, April 21, 2011

Motivation

"Suddenly, as I gazed on him, an idea seized me that this little creature was unprejudiced and had lived too short a time to have imbibed a horror of deformity. If, therefore, I could seize him and educate him as my companion and friend, I should not be so desolate in this people earth." page 136

When I started reading this book, I had no idea that I would like the monster. I assumed that I would react in a similar way as the other characters do, in disgust. The whole idea of this type of creature is weird to me. But it is interesting how much this book teaches the reader about humanity. The monster is simply trying to be human. He wants companionship and love. However, he has also been poisoned by the evil of humanity. His knowledge of violence changes his perception of the world as does the rejection that he constantly faces. He never wanted to become a monster, but that is what the world made him.

No comments:

Post a Comment