Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Allusion

Bright Star had one allusion that sparked my interest. It is located in line four:

"Like nature's patient, sleepless Eremite."

The book itself defines an eremite as a hermit. However, if that was all it meant, why was the word capitalized? So I did some research. An eremite is a hermit especially one under a religious vow. This added detail helped me understand the reference better. John Keats was not simply saying that the star was similar to a recluse. He was saying that it was devoted to its cause and had a reason behind its choices. At this point in the poem, the speaker is describing why he would not want to be like the star. I think that at this point he is saying that he does not want the responsibilities of sleepless vigilance and devotion. He wants to live a more care free life.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for you insight. It is helpful. However, could this perhaps be an allusion to another piece of literature, or perhaps even to a mythology, considering Keats' repusation for allusion? I feel the reference has eluded me.

    ReplyDelete