Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sorting Laundry: Allusion

In line 27, Ritchie utilizes an interesting allusion. Lines 25-27 are:

"And what's shrunk
is tough to discard
even for Goodwill."

I found this line intriguing for a couple of reasons. First of all, this allusion shows what poor condition some of these clothes were in. They were even beneath Goodwill. The reference to this institution caught me off guard. I didn't know Goodwill had such a long history. I couldn't find the exact year that the poem was written, but Elisavietta Ritchie was born in 1932 so I would guess the mid 1900s. She approaches it as a familiar image and institution. This surprised me. I thought Goodwills were relatively new. It turns out that Goodwill was started in 1902 as an urban outreach ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment