Friday, July 9, 2010

Ignorance


"I felt no personal danger; I felt no sense of an impending crisis in my life. Stupidly, with a kind of smug removal that I can't begin to fathom, I assumed that the problems of killing and dying did not fall within my special province." Page 39

This passage really stuck out to me. I feel as though young people today have a similar attitude to that which O'Brien demonstrates in this section. I feel as though many young Americans think about our current war as a distant problem that doesn't affect them. This is of course, if they think about the war at all. I know that personally I am not as interested and informed about the war as I should be. We support our troops but I doubt that many teens rush home from school to watch the news for recent updates. I do wonder how a draft would affect this ignorance. The war might seem more real and close if young people were faced with the possibility of being chosen to fight it.

1 comment: