Friday, July 9, 2010

What?


"She died, of course. Nine years old and she died. It was a brain tumor. She lived through the summer and into the first part of September and then she was dead." Page 223 and 224

This chapter was honestly my least favorite part of the book. It even beat the buffalo torture. It just didn't make sense. War story after war story and then he reflects on the death of his childhood sweetheart. It just didn't fit. He had a few mentions of his family but it always connected somehow to the war. This story was too random. I know O'Brien was simply trying to reflect on death in general and end with a sentimental story, but for me it didn't click. It was a great story and it was very well written. If I read it in another collection of short stories I'm sure I would have liked it. However, I don't think it belongs in a collection of war stories.

4 comments:

  1. a lot of people have been saying they loved this chapter....I tend to side more with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it was a pretty random story...and also just kinda depressing...

    but overall I liked the book...that chapter was just a little...unexpected I guess you could say

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah. i liked this one much better than i'm liking 'The sun also rises' so far. This was really the only part that I was confused or frustrated with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I'm not a fan of "The Sun Also Rises"...I definitely like this book much better...this is a little off topic but I had expected the books to be more similar. They're both supposed to be war stories...but they're really nothing alike.

    ReplyDelete