Friday, July 9, 2010

Third Person Point of View

"The war was over and there was no place in particular to go. Norman Bowker followed the tar road on its seven-mile loop around the lake..."

I found this passage interesting especially when I compared it to the second chapter entitled 'Love'. In both chapters O'Brien is telling the story of one of his fellow soldiers. Both soldiers told him the story and then gave him permission to write about it. Very similar circumstances but the final stories are written very differently. The biggest difference I noticed was that 'Speaking of Courage' is written in third person while 'Love' is written in first person. Third person was a very good choice for Norman's story. It made it more dramatic and interesting. It seemed more suspenseful. I wondered about his choice. Jimmy was living when his story was written, but Norman was deceased. I don't know if this is connected at all, but I think it is an interesting detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment