Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dynamic Character


" 'Oh, don't stand up and act as though you were going to hit me. That won't make an difference to me. Tell me, Robert. Why do you follow Brett around like a poor bloody steer? Don't you know you're not wanted? I know when I'm not wanted. Why don't you know when you're not wanted? You came down to San Sebastian where you weren't wanted, and followed Brett around like a bloody steer. Do you think that's right?' " Page 146


In my opinion, Robert Cohn is a very dynamic character. In the first few pages of the novel, Jake describes him and his past. He explains that when he was first with Frances, he never even looked at another woman. New York changed that a little. As a result, Frances became over protective and Robert became afraid even talking about spending any amount of time with another woman. And now all of a sudden he is following Brett around like a puppy dog. He also had short fling with her in San Sebastian. This seems very different from the scared man Jake introduces at the beginning of the novel.

However, one thing has not changed. He is extremely naive. He is even getting on my nerves with his obsession with Brett. He became so sure that she loved him too and he still can't see the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment