Friday, August 6, 2010

More than just coffee


"I said goodnight to Brett at the bar. The count was buying champagne.
'Will you take a glass of wine with us, sir?' he asked." Page 36


This short passage led me to an important realization. And then it led to a great feeling of stupidity.

It seems like the characters spend half of their time in cafes. Up until this point, I was thinking American cafes. So basically I was envisions a 1920s version of Starbucks. Then later Jake talks about ordering a beer. So one might understand why I was just a tad confused. And then BAM! As I was reading this passage I suddenly flash backed to my sophomore year Spanish class when my teacher explained an important cultural difference between America and Europe. In Europe, cafes are in a way similar to our bars. Yes, they sell coffee but they have alcoholic beverages at well. This is an important cultural difference and is key to understanding the novel. I'm just glad I realized it...eventually.

1 comment: