Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Why?

" 'Oh, Jake,' Brett said, 'we could have had such a damned good time together.'
Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.
'Yes,' I said, 'Isn't it pretty to think so?' " Page 251

When I read this, my thought was 'Are you serious? Really?!'
Honestly, I was confused during most of this book. I didn't understand the point or where the plot was heading. Also, Brett's relationship with Jake was never fully explained and so I was constantly waiting for some information on it to be revealed. They both seemed to care about each other so why weren't they together?
So obviously this ending was not appreciated at all. Hemingway once again left me confused. Brett and Jake admit that they would be good together but they act as though a relationship is impossible. But why??? I think I may have disliked this ending even more than 'The Things They Carried'. What was the point?

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the partay sistah! It seems everybody is quoting this last phrase of TSAR. But I kind of liked the end of TTTC. TSAR was lacking in more than the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided that The Things They Carried is awesome compared to The Sun Also Rises, but probably it's more evident if you read it second....

    ReplyDelete